GARDENS OF THE RIGHTEOUS
Riyadh as-Salihin of Imam Nawawi
NOTEThe salutation to the Holy Prophet in the words `upon whom be peace and blessings of Allah' after his name, and the invocation `may Allah be pleased with him' after the names of his companions are expressly set out in the manuscript but are omitted in print in order to accomodate the text to the modern reader. They should, nevertheless, be understood as repeated in each case.
In this translation the form ibn has been used in both initial and medial positions in the names of persons, in order to conform with current usage, although bin occurs medially in the originally text.
8. On PreservanceAllah, the Exalted, has said:
33. Do thou continue to stand upright as thou hast been commanded (11.113).
34. On them who affirm: Our Lord is Allah; and then remain steadfast, angels descend, reassuring them: Fear not, nor grieve, and rejoice in the Garden that you were promised. We are your friends in this life and in the hereafter. Therein you will have all that you desire, and therein you will be given all that you ask for; an entertainment from the Most Forgiving, the Ever Merciful (41.31-32).
35. Those who say: Allah is our Lord, and then remain steadfast, will be subject to no fear, nor will they grieve. These are the dwellers of the Garden; they shall abide therein; a recompense for that which they did (46.14-15)
85. Sufyan ibn Abdullah relates: I asked the Messenger of Allah: Tell me something about Islam which should enable me to dispense with having to ask anyone else. He said: Affirm: I believe in Allah; and then be steadfast (Muslim).
86. Abu Hurairah relates that the Holy Prophet said: Follow the faith strictly and be steadfast; and remember that no one can achieve salvation through his conduct. Someone asked: Not even you, Messenger of Allah? He said: Nor I, save that Allah should cover me with His mercy and grace (Muslim).