GARDENS OF THE RIGHTEOUS
Riyadh as-Salihin of Imam Nawawi
NOTEThe salutation to the Holy Prophet in the words `upon whom be peace and blessings of Allah' after his name, and the invocation `may Allah be pleased with him' after the names of his companions are expressly set out in the manuscript but are omitted in print in order to accomodate the text to the modern reader. They should, nevertheless, be understood as repeated in each case.
In this translation the form ibn has been used in both initial and medial positions in the names of persons, in order to conform with current usage, although bin occurs medially in the originally text.
10. On Vying with One Another in Doing GoodAllah, the Exalted, has said:
40. Vie with one another in good works (2.149).
41. Hasten towards forgiveness from your Lord and a Paradise whose price is the heavens and the earth, prepared for the righteous (3.134).
87. Abu Hurairah relates that the Holy Prophet said: Hasten to do good for soon there will be a succession of disorders like the chasing darknesses of night; a person will start the day believing and will end it disbelieving, or go to bed believing and get up in the morning disbelieving. He will be ready to sell his faith for a worldly advantage (Muslim).
88. Utbah ibn Harith relates: I joined the afternoon Prayer led by the Holy Prophet in Medina. The moment he concluded the service he stood up quickly and proceeded to one of his chambers stepping across the shoulders of the worshippers. People were perplexed by such haste. When he came back he perceived that people were wondering what had called him away so urgently. So he said: I recalled that there was left with me a piece of silver (or gold) and this disturbed me. I have now arranged for its distribution (Bokhari). Another version is: There was left with me a piece of silver (or gold) which was meant for charity. I was disturbed that it should remain with me overnight. 89. Jabir relates that one man asked the Holy Prophet on the day of Uhud: Tell me, where shall I be if I am killed in battle today? He answered: In Paradise. The man threw away the few dates he held in his hand, plunged into battle and fought on till he was killed (Muslim).
90. Abu Hurairah relates that a man came and asked the Holy Prophet: Which giving away in charity is more acceptable to God? He answered: That which you give away while you are in good health, seeking wealth, fearing adversity and hoping for prosperity. Do not delay spending in charity till you are in extremity to say: To So and So this, and to So and So that; for by then they already belong to So and So (Bokhari and Muslim).
91. Anas relates that the Holy Prophet took up a sword on the day of the battle of Uhud and said: Who will take this sword from me? Everyone stretched forth his hand saying: I, I. The Holy Prophet said: Who will take its full responsibility? The people hesitated. Then Abu Dujanah said: I shall take it; and with it he cracked the skulls of the pagans (Muslim).
92. Zubair ibn Adiyy relates: We went to Anas ibn Malik and complained to him of the inconvenience caused to us by the pilgrims. He counselled us to be patient and said: Each period will be followed by a worse, till you meet you Lord. I heard this from the Holy Prophet (Bokhari).
93. Abu Hurairah relates that the Holy Prophet said: Hasten to do good before you are overtaken by one of seven misfortunes: perplexing adversity, corrupting prosperity, disabling disease, babbling dotage, sudden death, the worst apprehended Anti-Christ, the Hour, and the Hour will be most grievous and most bitter (Tirmidhi).
94. Abu Hurairah relates that on the day of the battle of Khaibar the Holy Prophet said: I shall offer this standard to one who loves Allah and His Messenger, may Allah bestow victory through him. Umar relates: I had never desired a command but that day I hoped that I might be called. However, the Holy Prophet called Ali and handed the standard to him and said: Go forth and pay no heed to anything else till Allah bestows victory upon you. Ali proceeded a little way and stopped and without turning inquired in a loud voice: Messenger of Allah, for what shall I fight them? He answered: Fight on till they affirm that there is none worthy of worship save Allah and that Muhammad is Messenger of Allah. If they do that their lives and their properties will be secure against you, subject to their obligations under Islam, and they will be accountable to Allah (Muslim).