the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Ever-Merciful
Etiquettes in the Mosque
- The mosque is an Islamic place of worship
devoted to the remembrance of God; it may also be used as
place for religious affairs. Nothing should be done there
that might desecrate it.
- None should indulge in gossips in
the mosque. One should either be praying
there or engage himself in the remembrance
of God or the people should talk about the religious affairs
- but, of course this talk must not disturb those who are
engaged in their Prayers.
- On entering the mosque you should offer the following
prayer: "Bismilla hissalato wassalamo alaa Rasoolillahi
Allahummagh firlee zonoobe waftah lee abwaba rahmatika."
- You may offer two Rakaat Nafl on entering the mosque;
it will be something like gratitude to God on enabling
you to reach the mosque for a virtuous deed (the Prayer).
It will be a means of reward from God the Almighty.
- If somebody is praying, you should not pass in front
of him - of course you can do so if you pass a little away
from the place of his prostration.
- It is very undesirable that the people should talk loudly
or do some thing undesirable - these things disturb the
people who are engaged in prayer at that time.
- The mosque must always be kept clean and if possible
some scent should be used there to make the place very
much agreeable; nothing dirty should be left there; it
should be removed as early as possible.
- You should not eat anything that gives bad smell, before
going to the mosque; your mouth odour will be very disturbing
- You should not spit inside the mosque or on its stairs.
- Do not engage yourself in buying or selling things in
the mosque nor should you talk of trade there.
- It is very undesirable that the announcement be made
in the mosque about the lost property; of course if the
missing thing was lost from within the mosque then the
announcement is permissible to be made within the mosque.
- Those who come late should not jump over the heads of
others to go to the front lines.
- Small children who might make noise or who might urinate
there, should not be brought to the mosque.
- When the Imam is delivering Friday Sermon, the audience
must maintain silence; no talking should be carried on;
even if somebody has to be told to silent, he should not
be told by words of mouth; you should just point to him
that he should keep silent.
- When you come out of the mosque, you should pray in
the following words: "Allahumma innee as-aloka min fazlika