Hazrat Ahmad(as) was an embodiment of every conceivable manly beauty and charm. He was well built, of medium height (5’-8”) with broad shoulders and chest. He had a fair tanned complexion. His serene countenance always exuded a kind of spiritual halo.
He had fine, straight, lustrous black hair. He had a charming full thick beard. His eyes were smoke-black always half closed. He had a straight, upright, fairly broad forehead that bore the mark of high intellect. His temperament cool but heart-warming. He had a beaming smile and talked softly.
He preferred to dress in simple clothes that consisted of a tunic, trousers, a waistcoat, an overcoat, and a turban. He wore locally made Indian shoes. He always carried a walking stick when heading out. His food was simple, ate little and without haste.
Following are some of the notable traits of his personality.
- Hazrat Ahmad(as) believed wholeheartedly and with total conviction in the existence of God. He had an unwavering faith in the truthfulness of his claim. His undying love for the Prophet of Islam(saw) was unprecedented.
- Huzoor(as) always occupied himself in supplications, he repeatedly recited ‘Subhan Allah’ even when he was occupied in routine tasks. His entire life was absorbed in the worship of God Almighty.
- Consciousness of God, righteousness, & truthfulness were the hallmark of his character. He always made sure to adhere to all the injunctions of the Holy Quran and Holy Prophet Muhammad(saw).
- He led a life of utmost simplicity and austerity.
- He faced most troublesome situations with fortitude, resoluteness, and remarkable courage.
- He worked hard and busied himself with the work entrusted to him by God Almighty.
- He treated his wife, kids, friends, and even his adversaries with love, courtesy, and sympathy. He was conscious of their feelings but was equally concerned about their spiritual upbringing, and conduct.
- Hospitality was also one of his special traits. He went to great lengths to ensure the comfort of his guests.
Hazrat Dr. Mir Muhammad Ismail(ra) has broadly sketched the character of Promised Messiah(as) in the following words:
“Promised Messiah, peace be on him, possessed impeccable morals. He was full of kindness, beneficent, generous, and hospitable. In a crisis when most people would feel jittery, he would march forward like a roaring lion. Forgiveness, overlooking others weaknesses, generosity, uprightness, humility, steadfastness, gratitude, contentment, modesty, industrious, contended, faithful, frank, simple, respect for God and His Messenger and religious divines. Tenderhearted, moderate, just, trustworthy, alert, sympathetic, dignified, neat, lively, humorous, courageous, resolute and, self- reliant.Love for God and His Messenger, totally committed to the Apostle of Allah(saw). These were in essence his morals and habits.
I saw Huzoor when I was two years old and for the last time when I was twenty-seven. I swear to Allah that I never met a person who was better than him, or more affable, more righteous, and more angelic than him. I never met any person who was more engrossed in the love of God and His Messenger than him. He was a light that shone on mankind.”