During the Caliphate of Hazrat Khalifat al-Masih the Second(ra) many conspiracies were hatched against the Community. Some of these plots were so scary that in all likelihood Jamaat could have been wiped off the face of the earth, God forbid. Huzoor overcame every obstacle with amazing courage. He foretold that every plot would fail and that the caravan of Ahmadiyyat would always march forward. Every prediction made by Huzoor came true. With the grace & mercy of Allah every plot failed & the caravan of Ahmadiyya Jamaat confidently moved forward. Praise & glory be to the Lord.
Some of these sinister plots are briefly described hereunder:
- As has been discussed the very first problem Huzoor had to tackle was the internal dissension. Huzoor out maneuvered the dissenters with wisdom and prayers.
- From time to time many hypocrites left the Community and vainly tried to create dissension among the members. For instance dissension of stone masons took place in 1927. Then in 1937 Shaikh Abdur Rahman Misri, former principal of Madrassa Ahmadiyya created rift in the Community. In 1956 some people tried to create discord by enlisting the family members of the First Caliph. However none of them succeeded in their nefarious designs.
- In 1934 members of the Ahrar Party plotted to create misunderstandings among Muslims about the Jamaat. Some top bureaucrats of the British administration including the Governor of Punjab sided with the Ahrar Party. It appeared as though the entire population of the country was supporting the Ahrars. They held political rallies in Qadian and boasted to wipe out the Jamaat very soon. Right at this time when the mischief was in its full steam, Hudhoor made the following announcement in one of his sermons:
“The ground is slipping from under the feet of the enemy. I can foresee their imminent defeat.” (Farooq, 21st November 1934)
Soon after this announcement, God Almighty changed the circumstances in such a way that the Ahrars lost face among the Muslims. Everyone realized the reality of the hollow slogans. They cooked their own goose by taking on the Jamaat. Everything the beloved man of God had predicted came true.
- The enemies of the Jamaat in Pakistan cooked up another deadly plot in 1953. This time the situation was much more dangerous than the one in 1934. They raised a storm of hatred against the Ahmadi community in the entire country by holding political rallies, street marches, and by printing inflammatory articles in the newspapers.Members of the Jamaat were mercilessly beaten in many towns, some were martyred, homes and businesses were robbed, and mosques set on fire. The ruling party in the province of Punjab also joined hands with the militants. There were widespread disturbances in all the major cities of Pakistan.The Community was faced with life and death situation. When the situation reached the critical point, Hazrat Khalifat al-Masih announced that:
“God Almighty has established the Ahmdadiya Jamaat. If these people win then we admit we were on the wrong path, but if we are on the right path, then they will assuredly fail”. (Al-Fazl, February 15th, 1953).
Then suddenly out of the blue the situation changed so dramatically that this mischief also fizzled out. Those who were the ringleaders of the mischief were humiliated. Everyone is a witness that God Almighty came to the rescue of the Jamaat with His grace. Those who had intended to wipe out the Jamaat were themselves wiped out from the face of the earth.
- In 1934 Huzoor unveiled a plan for the purpose of fighting off the Ahrar Party. The project was named Tahrike Jadid (The New Initiative) in which Hudhoor put forth 19 demands before the members.Some of these are: (1) Ahmadi youth should volunteer themselves for missionary work (2) Members should donate money toward a special fund that will be used for propagation in foreign countries. This fund is called Chanda Tehrike Jadid. (3) Members should adopt a simple mode of life like eat one meal a day, wear simple clothing, avoid movie theatres, and get a job. The real intent behind this initiative was to reduce expenses and donate more toward the fund. (4) Ahmadi children should get professional education like medicine, engineering etc.
This initiative proved very fruitful. Scores of missions have been established in many countries of the world, resulting in thousands of people accepting Islam. The Holy Quran has been translated into numerous languages. It set in motion a wave of sacrifice and sincerity. Many youths offered to devote their lives for the sake of religion. Gradually this fund shaped itself into a permanent fund. The target for this fund was initially set at 23,500 rupees, however the annual budget soon reached a whopping 3.6 million rupees.
Every member of the Community donates toward this fund once a year with a spirit of sacrifice. The vast network of mission houses operating around the globe is due mainly to this fund. Details about this project have been given in previous pages under the heading Propagation of Islam.