On December 1st, 1888 he published an announcement that God has ordained him that whomsoever seeks true faith and piety, should take Baiat, pledge allegiance to him so that Allah may shower His mercy and beneficence on them.
On January 12th, 1889 he published a pamphlet in which he laid down ten conditions of Baiat for initiation into the Jamaat. In this pamphlet he made it known that anyone who wishes to enter into covenant of allegiance should swear on the following from the core of his heart.
- That till the last day of his life, he shall abstain from shirk (associating any partners with Allah).
- That he shall keep away from falsehood, cruelty, adultery, dishonesty, disorder, rebellion and every kind of evil.
- That he shall offer prayers (Salat) five times daily.
- That he shall not inflict injury on any of Allah’s creatures.
- That he would bear every hardship for the sake of Allah.
- That he shall not follow vulgar customs and guard against evil inclinations.
- That he shall discard pride and haughtiness, live in humility & meekness
- That he shall hold his faith, dignity, and the welfare of Islam dearer than his own life, wealth and children.
- That he shall have sympathy for all of God’s creatures, and devote his talents to their welfare.
- That he shall establish brotherhood with me (i.e.Ahmad), obeying me in all good things, and firmly adhere to these rules until the last breadth of his life.
Founding of Ahmadiyya Jama’at
On March 23rd, 1889 he started taking oath of allegiance at the house of a spiritual preceptor Hazrat Sufi Ahmad Jan in the city of Ludhiana. Thus he laid the foundation of Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam. Hazrat Hakim Maulvi Noor al-Din(ra) was the first person to have the honor of taking the first Baiat.
On the first day forty people took oath of allegiance, some of them are listed hereunder:
Hazrat Maulvi Abdullah Sanori(ra)
Hazrat Chaudhry Rustam Ali(ra)
Hazrat Munshi Zafar Ahmad(ra)
Hazrat Munshi Aroray Khan(ra)
Hazrat Munshi Habib ar-Rahman(ra)
Hazrat Qazi Zia al-din(ra)
Hazrat Mir Inayat Ali(ra)