- The Superiority of Islam and the Status of Quran
- Handsome and Pious Son, a Righteous Servant Will Be Given To You
- Man of Excellence and Majesty
- Intelligent and a Man of Understanding
- Of High Resolve, Steadfast in His Endeavors and Filled With Secular and Religious Knowledge
- Liberator of Captives
- Nations Will Be Blessed By Him
- Meek of Heart
- The Demise of Hazrat Musleh Mau’ood
The Ahmadiyya Gazette, February 1997
This article was written in Urdu by Choudhery Muhammed Siddique Sahib, Incharge Khilafat Library, Rabwah and rendered into English by Dr. Abdus Salam Malik and Dr. Basharat Munir Mirza. May Allah reward them all.
The time of the advent of the Holy Founder of Ahmadiyya Community is known as Faij-e Aawaj (Age of Darkness). Not only the followers of Islam had stopped following the teachings of Islam but the opponents and enemies of Islam were also using every means possible in their efforts to destroy and annihilate Islam. They were trying to attack Islam and the Holy Founder of Islam, Hazrat Muhammad (saw) from different directions in order to dishearten Muslims. The Holy Founder of the Ahmadiyya Community, Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (as.), had started early in his life written and spoken struggle to establish the superiority and vitality of Islam over all other religions and most convincingly countered the attacks of the enemies of Islam. He called the opponents of Islam and non-believers to open challenges but few dared to accept his challenge.
In this connection, in the 1880’s, the leaders of Arya Samaj, viz., Munshi Inderman Muradabadi and Master Murlee Dhar, etc., had discussion and debate with Hazrat Promised Messiah (as.) about the truthfulness of Islam and asked for a sign to prove that Islam is a living religion. Therefore Hazrat Promised Messiah (as.) accepted their challenge and, in order to dedicate special prayers for this purpose, spent 40 days in seclusion at Hoshiarpur.
Almighty Allah accepted his humble and sincere supplications and gave him the promise of manifesting a clear and bright sign to establish the truth of Islam. Therefore, while still in Hoshiarpur, he was given the glad tidings of a boy from his own progeny who will be endowed with many superior qualities and distinctive attributes.
He (the promised son) will be a manifestation of the majesty and mercy of Allah. He will grow with great speed (in a short period of time) and in beauty and benevolence will be like you. He will cause the excellence and eminence of Quran and Magnificence of Allah to be established in this world. He will be steadfast and of supreme resolve in his endeavors. He will be extremely intelligent and knowledgeable and he will be filled with secular and spiritual knowledge. He will be pious and handsome. He will be endowed with majesty and grandeur. Nations of the world will receive blessings from him; and he will cause the deliverance of the captives and the oppressed. (Advertisement, February 20, 1886)
According to the revelation and knowledge given by Allah, Hazrat Promised Messiah (as.) presented this prophecy as a sign to his opponents and published it widely. Thereafter, on January 12, 1889, as a manifestation of this prophecy, Almighty Allah bestowed on him that beloved and revered son. Hazrat Mirza Mahmood Ahmad, the second Imam of Ahmadiyya community, Al-Muslehul Mauood was born.
The prophecy given by Allah was fulfilled. All the attributes foretold in the prophecy became evident in his noble personage. His heart was filled with the love of Allah and his holy messenger (saw). His soul and bosom was illumined with the love and knowledge of the Holy Quran. He flourished with rapidity and became an instrument of establishing the superiority and status of the word of God (the Holy Quran) in all comers of the world. No scholar in the entire world could dare challenge him.
The enemies tried their level best to put obstacles in his way but Almighty Allah, purely by His grace, utterly humiliated them all, and established the steadfastness and high resolve of Hazrat Musleh Mauood (ra). These virtues and attributes and high stature was established with such clarity and so convincingly that not only his followers but his arch enemies and rivals, all were forced to acknowledge his status and virtues. Almighty Allah, by His grace, spread his fame in all corners of the world and people living in different parts of the world became his ardent admirers.
In the following, we are going to present, very briefly, the opinions expressed by people from different walks of life who were impressed by his personal attributes.
The Superiority of Islam and the Status of Quran
In the prophecy about Hazrat Musleh Mauood, one of the purposes of his birth was this, “So that ….. the superiority of Islam and status of Quran become manifest on people.” About the fulfillment of this sign, we quote the renowned Muslim leader of Indo-Pak subcontinent and poet, the editor of daily newspaper “Zimindar”, Maulvi Zafar Ali Khan. While addressing the opponents of the Khalifatul Masih II, he said:
“Listen carefully, you and your followers will never be able to compete with Mirza Mahmood Ahmad. Mirza Mahmood has the Quran and he has got knowledge of the Quran. What have you got?….You have not read the Quran even in your dreams…..Mirza Mahmood has got a community with him which is ready to sacrifice everything they have at his slightest hint…..Mirza Mahmood has got a party of preachers, experts in different fields. In every country of the world he has established his dominion.” (Aik Khaufnak Saazish, p. 196, author Mazhar Ali Azhar)
In his tenure as the Imam of the Jamaat, he had the Holy Quran translated in different languages in order to spread it to all the nations of the world. He himself wrote the introduction to the Quran in which he answered the criticism and objection raised against Islam and the founder of Islam by orientalists and people of other religions. People from different parts of the world gave their opinions about these translations. Here are presented a few examples.
- Mr. Charles S. Bradon, Head of the Department of History and Religious Literature, Evanston University, USA, wrote that, on the whole, this is a very valuable addition in the Islamic literature in the English language. He further expressed his appreciation for the valuable addition, in English, of Islamic literature by Ahmadiyya community.
- Famous orientalist, Mr. H. A. R. Gibbs, said that it was so far the best effort in translating the Quran in English.
- Mr. Richard Bell wrote that it was an effort to interpret the Islamic teachings according to the needs of this age and its problems. It is a proof that Ahmadiyya Community was spiritually alive and progressive.
- A. J. Arbury said that it would not be an exaggeration to consider this work to be an evidence of the command of Islamic teachings.
- Famous Dutch Weekly Newspaper, Dewaagsohel, in its March 15, 1954 issue, writes, “In this edition the original Arabic text and its Dutch translation is given together. In its introduction, written by Hazrat Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad, the universal teachings of Quran has been presented as superior to the teachings of Bible and Vedas. According to this introduction the prophecies of the Old Testament are not about Messiah, instead these are about the Holy Prophet of Islam.” (Tehrik-e-Jadid and Foreign Missions).
- Huzoor delivered a speech about Islam in the Religions Conference, in London, in 1924. Different newspapers including The Times, Morning Post, The Daily Telegraph, Daily News and Manchester Guardian reported its summary and praised it immensely. The organizer of the conference and famous clergyman of London, Dr. Walter Wash, said that he has drawn this conclusion from this conference that Islam is a living religion and this was the purpose with which the Imam of Ahmadiyya community came to London. (Al-Mubashirat, p. 78)
- In 1945, Huzoor delivered a lecture in Lahore on Islamic Economic System, which was later published as a book and it was translated in different languages. Its Spanish translation was published in Spain. The second most widely published newspaper in Spain, “Madrid”, wrote a review in its July 21, 1948 issue which shows how he was able to establish the superiority of Islam. “Hazrat Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad in his lecture, comprehensively sheds light on the teachings and the principles of Islam which enables one to comprehend that the economic system forms the basis of Islam. He has brilliantly shown the difference between the Islamic system and Communism.” (Al-Fazal, December 31, 1948)
Handsome and Pious Son, a Righteous Servant Will Be Given To You
In addition to other signs in the prophecy one sign pertains to him being pious and handsome. In this regard Mr. M. Aslam writes his impression, “We were delighted to meet with Sahibzada Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad. Sahibzada Sahib is an extremely courteous and modest man. In addition to being courteous, he is also a very profound thinker…. I will always remember the piety, righteousness, broadmindedness and modesty of Sahibzada Sahib.” (Ta’assurrat-e-Qadian, p.136-137)
Khan Bahadur Seth Ahmad Aladin of Hayderabad Deccan writes, “Respected Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad Sahib has been specially kind and benevolent towards me. His practical life, broadmindedness and unwavering faith in Allah has always impressed me.” (Al-Hakam, Jubilee No., 1931)
In 1924, on his journey to Europe, Huzoor stayed in Arab countries. During his stay in Arab countries, the press gave him extensive coverage. Here are some of the reviews of the Arab press.
- Widely published newspaper “Akhbaar Al-Qabas”, Damascus, wrote in its August 8, 1924 issue, “Indian delegation comprising of great religious scholars and learned people, led by the Imam of Ahmadiyya community, Mirza Bashiruddin Ahmad, arrived in the Capital (Damascus) and stayed in Central Hotel. During our audience with him, we observed his depth of religious knowledge, superior stature and his great devotion and dedication to Islamic interests and related matters.”
- Journal “Alif Wal Ya”, in its August 9, 1924, issue, writes about their experience about an audience with Huzoor, “We met with him as representatives of our newspaper and we found that he was encircled by many of his companions. We could clearly see the signs of piety and righteousness and their love and devotion for their leader and Imam on their faces. We also saw two of the renowned scholars of Damascus, Maulvi Bahajatul Batar and Ahmad Al-noor Balaqi and quite a few of the educated young men of Damascus in his company. We observed that he spoke fluent Arabic and would frequently quote Quranic verses and sayings of the Holy Prophet (saw) to support his arguments and if he could not remember any Hadeeth or Quranic verse then he would use logic. And this Mahdi Sahib (Hazrat Imam Jamaat) is of average height and wears his national Indian dress and wears a white turban. He is extremely intelligent, speaks fluently and with great command and use powerful arguments in his support. He neither gets tired nor gets bored from discussions and arguments.”
- The same newspaper writes in its August 10, 1924 issue, “He was talking in Arabic language which very much resembled the literary Arabic. He was middle aged (between 30 and 40 years of age). His immense intelligence is apparent from his facial features. And his audience gets very much impressed with his gracefulness and magnificence.”
- Another famous newspaper of Damascus, “Fatal Arab”, in its August issue, writes, “He is in 40th year of his life. His facial features reflect his intense intelligence. He sports a full black beard. He has wheat complexion. Majesty and magnanimity is evident from his face. His eyes reflect extraordinary knowledge and intelligence. When you face him you realize that you are standing in front of a person who understands you very well before you could understand him. He is always smiling which sometimes is hidden and sometimes becomes apparent. You will marvel at the meanings and awe hidden behind this smile.”
Man of Excellence and Majesty
One of the signs attributed to the promised son in this prophecy was that he will be a person of majesty and excellence. In this reference, Mr. Mian Sultan Ahmad Wajoodi, member of Provincial Congress Committee, Punjab of former united India, writes “If Kamal Ataturk used to rule over 2,94,416 square miles and 15.2 million people, if Joseph Stalin was the undisputed ruler of 171 million people, if Mussolini was the king of 42 million Italian and 8.6 million Ethiopian people, if Adolph Hitler rules over 65 million Germans, then Mirza Bashir-ud Din Mahmood Ahmad also rules over people spread all over the world belonging to all nations of the world, whose obedience is considered the most important obligation of their lives by these people.” (Al-Hakam, Jubilee Number, December 1939)
Intelligent and a Man of Understanding
Another attribute foretold in the prophecy was Intelligence. We have already presented the opinion of Arabic Newspapers in this regard. We now present the acknowledgment of Chaudhry Fatal Haq, who admits the inability of his party to counter the extraordinary intelligence and knowledge of Huzoor, in these words,
“The amount of money being spent by Qadiani Jamaat and the incredible brain which is working behind this movement, is enough to destroy even the strongest kingdoms in seconds.” (Newspaper “Mujahid”, 10 August, 1935)
Prof. Stenko, of Yugoslavian origin, Head of the Department of Religious studies in Wagner College, Pennsylvania, USA, visited Pakistan in 1960-61, while studying comparative religious studies. After returning to USA he wrote a comprehensive thesis on, “The Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam”. In this he wrote about Ahmadiyya Community and Hazrat Imam Jamaat. He found Huzoor to be a leader of great resolve and extremely intelligent. He also mentioned that, like his father, Huzoor also claimed to be in communion with Almighty Allah. (Eastern World, December, 1961)
Of High Resolve, Steadfast in His Endeavors and Filled With Secular and Religious Knowledge
Huzoor was also endowed with great facility in the knowledge of worldly as well as spiritual fields of learning. He was also of very high resolve. Even his opponents have admitted this, for example,
- Khwaja Hasan Nizami paints his picture like this, “Most of the time he is sick. But these illnesses do not in any way interfere with his proficiency. Even in worst times of opposition, he kept his cool and continued with his mission and established his Mogul audacity and also established that Mogul race has got special talent of administration. He has got political astuteness and is also very strong in religious knowledge and sagacity. He is also well versed with military profession, that is, he is expert in both intellectual as well as lettered warfare.” (Adil, Delhi, 24 April 1933 as reported in Khalid, November 1955).
- During his stay in Damascus, on his way to Europe and England, Newspaper, “Al-Imran”, in its August 10, 1924, issue wrote, under following caption, Mahdi in Damascus, “Respected Ahmad Qadiani Sahib, the Khalifa of Mahdi in India, arrived in Damascus, along with his companions who are great scholars in his Jamaat. Shortly after the news of his arrival was published, many scholars and learned people went to see and discuss with him his claim. They found him to be a scholar with extensive research and depth of knowledge of all religions and their history and philosophy and one who is given the knowledge and understanding of the philosophy of divine law.”
- In 1919, a meeting of Martin Historical Society, Islamia College, Lahore was held under the Chairmanship of Professor Syed Abdul Qadir, in Lahore. In this meeting Huzoor delivered a speech on the topic of, “The Beginning of Differences in Islam”. In this meeting, Professor Abdul Qadir introduced Huzoor in these words, “Gentlemen, normally when someone comes to deliver a lecture, it is routine for the president of the meeting to introduce him to the audience. But today’s lecturer is a person of such dignity, fame and status that you will hardly find any one who is not familiar with him. He is the son of that remarkable and holy person who had created a major upheaval in the entire religious world and particularly in Christian world.” (Ta’assurat-e-Qadian, p. 16)
- The same professor, in the closing remarks, said, “Gentlemen I have also studied history somewhat and when I came here this evening I thought I knew most of Islamic history and I can easily critique it. But now after listening to Mirza Sahib’s speech I realized that I am only a beginner. The difference in my depth of knowledge and that of Mirza Sahib’s depth of knowledge is the same as between the light of this table lamp (the lamp sitting on the table) and that big electric lamp (which was hanging from the ceiling).Gentlemen, the brilliance and command with which Mirza Sahib has commented on this very difficult subject in Islamic history is unique to him. There are very few people who could talk on this very complicated chapter in Islamic history. As far as I know there is none here in Lahore. I wish we had such knowledgeable people in our society. I think that if a person of such extraordinary intellect and status would become a member of our society, it would bring great honor to our society.” (Ta’assurrat-e-Qadian, p. 162-163)
- In this regards, the observations of Mian Sultan Ahmad Wajoodi, member Provincial Congress Committee, are also very interesting. He writes, “Mirza Mahmood Ahmad has immense power to work. He is a man of extraordinary personality. He delivers speeches for hours without interruption. His speeches are fluent and full of knowledge. He is the author of voluminous books. After meeting with him one gets deeply impressed with his lofty conduct. He has got great talent of administration. At the age 50 he has got vigor of a young man. He is a great patron of Urdu language.” (Al-Hakam, Jubilee Number, December, 1939, p. 36)
- Here is another powerful evidence in support of the attribute “will be given secular and spiritual knowledge”. On February 21, 1945, Huzur delivered a historical lecture on the topic of “Islamic Economic System”, under the auspices of Ahmadiyya Intercollegiate Association, Lahore. This lecture created a great stir in literary world. This lecture has since been translated in many different languages of the world including English, French and German. An influential organ of Spanish ministry of Industry and commerce, “Information Commercial Industrial” wrote about it in its October, 1946, issue, “Notwithstanding the sentimental aspect, a brilliant comparison of Islamic economic system with communism is presented in this book. It is established with overwhelming proofs that communism is not only against the political principles and movements but also threatens the religious values. This book is a source of excellent information. Hazrat Imam Jamaat Ahmadiyya is deserves to be congratulated on this lecture.” (Al-Mubbasshirat).
- At the time of the construction of the city of Rabwah, Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II invited the representatives of major newspapers of Pakistan and showed them the maps and other details of the project. The construction of Rabwah is a clear evidence of “High Resolve” of Huzoor. Mr. Waqar Ambalvi, famous journalist of daily newspaper “Safina”, writes, “Last Sunday the leader of Ahmadiyya community invited the newspaper representatives from Lahore to visit the location of their new city and took us on its tour. The details of this tour has already been published in newspapers. As immigrants, Rabwah is an example for us. Six million immigrants have moved in Pakistan but they are helpless, devastated and scattered. These immigrants were Muslims, believed in their creator and followers of the Holy Prophet Mohammed (saw) and stood for equality and brotherhood among Muslims but even a calamity of this magnitude could not unite them. On the other hand we have always been criticizing Ahmadies because of their beliefs but their organization, brotherhood and mutual support in the time of need had resulted in the beginning of building of a new Qadian before our own eyes. We also came as immigrants among whom were such people that every one of them could build such cities but their wealth was not spent on any poor person except for themselves. Rabwah is also an important example for us from another aspect. We can learn our lesson from it and build similar cities for the rest of the immigrants. Rabwah is an example for our public and Government and shows us that those who only indulge in making grandiose claims do not achieve anything and practical people achieve their goals without making any claims.” (Safina, Lahore, November 13, 1948)
- In December, 1948, Huzoor delivered a lecture at Maniard Hall, Law College, Lahore under the auspices of Ahmadiyya Intercollegiate Association, on the topic of “Condition of Islamic World and Its Future”. This meeting was presided by Honorable Justice S. A. Rahman. It is evident from the concluding remarks of the president that Almighty Allah has indeed endowed Huzoor with secular and spiritual knowledge. In his remarks the Honorable Justice stated, “I am greatly thankful to Ahmadiyya Intercollegiate Association that it gave me the opportunity to listen to such literary lecture. Respected Mirza Sahib has covered an extensive topic in such a short time and shed light on many aspects. We should consider the constructive suggestions presented by him and try to implement them seriously.” (Al-Fazal, December 14, 1948)
- After the creation of Pakistan, Huzoor delivered many speeches on the topic of the stability and the strengthening of Pakistan. On one such occasion Huzoor addressed a meeting on the topic of “Pakistan and its Future”, under the chairmanship of Mr. Malik Feroz Khan Noon. At the end, in his presidential remarks, Mr. Noon, said, “Mirza Sahib has limitless treasure of knowledge in his mind. He has told us a lot of things in this brief time and has analysed the topic in real depth.” (Al-Fazal, December 9, 1947)
In short, Almighty Allah, by his grace, had given him excellence in every field of knowledge.
Liberator of Captives
Another attribute of Hazrat Musleh Mauood foretold in the prophecy was that he will liberate the captives. The whole world is witness to the fact that he used all his means and performed such services to help liberate different nations of the world that even his opponents were forced to acknowledge this. For example in 1930, when Hindu autocracy and Dogra rulers of Kashmir started persecuting Muslim majority populace and deprived them of all their rights, at that time all Muslim leaders, Nawabs and politicians requested Hazrat Musleh Mauood to help these oppressed Muslim people. And it was Huzoor whose tireless efforts and leadership resulted in the success of their movement and Kashmiris were able to breathe a sigh of relief.
On July 25, 1931, renowned Muslim leaders including Poet of the East Doctor Sir Mohammad Iqbal, Nawab Sahib Ganjpura, Sir Zulfiqar Ali Khan, Khan Bahadur Sheikh Rahim Bakhsh Retired Session Judge, Syed Mohsin Shah Tirmizi, Khwaja Hasan Nizami, Syed Habib, editor newspaper “Siasat”, Maulvi Hasrat Mohani etc., gathered in Simla and “All India Kashmir Committee” was founded. At the recommendation of Dr. Sir Iqbal, Hazrat Musleh Mauood was requested to accept its presidency. (Sarguzasht by Abdul Majid Salik, p. 293).
The Muslim press lauded the successful leadership of Huzoor which had resulted in the deliverance of Kashmiri Muslims who had been robbed of even the very basic human rights for ages. The newspaper “Siasat” writes, “At the time when condition of Kashmir was critical, those who chose Hazrat Mirza Sahib despite doctrinal differences, they made a perfect choice. Had they not chosen Mirza Sahib because of the differences in their beliefs, this movement would have ended in utter failure and would have resulted in major loss for the Muslim Umma (nation).” (Tarikh-e-Ahmadiyyat, p. 113, ref. Daily, “Siasat” , May 18, 1933).
Similarly Mr. Abdul Majid Salik writes about The Movement For Liberation of Kashmir, “Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah (Lion Of Kashmir) and other workers used to keep open contact with Mirza Mahmood Ahmad and some of his workers. The only reason for their contacts was the fact that Mirza Sahib had many resources and he was helping the Kashmir Movement in many respects and workers of Kashmir Movement were naturally obliged to him.” (Zikr-e-lqbal by Salik, p. 188)
In United India, Muslims were the biggest minority and they were under British and Hindu subjugation for long time. Huzoor used every available opportunity to liberate these Muslims. Therefore every unbiased student of history of Indo-Pak subcontinent is bound to acknowledge his efforts in this regard. At every occasion and every point Huzoor guided the movement of liberation of Muslims of Indo-Pak in the right direction and it was equally acknowledged by his proponents and opponents. Herein we present some examples.
- In 1937, all parties Conference was organized and the issue of separate and combined election was under discussion. Qaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah and other Muslim leaders were in favor of combined elections but Huzoor delivered such an effective speech in favor of separate elections that every one agreed with his suggestion. Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar was greatly impressed by this speech so he wrote in his newspaper “Hamdard”, “It will be ungratefulness on our part if we do not mention Mirza Mahmood Ahmad and his organized Jamaat who dedicated all their efforts and resources for the welfare of Muslims irrespective of their doctrinal differences.On the one hand they are taking interest in Muslim politics and on the other hand they are doing their best to improve Muslim organization, propagation and commerce. And in not too distant a future we will see that the character of this well organized community of Muslims will become the guiding light for Muslim Ummah in general and for those people in particular who make grandiose claims of service of Islam but in fact are worthless. Those gentlemen who had the honor to attend this general meeting in Qadian in which Respected Mirza Sahib has talked about his future plans and modus operandi would definitely agree with my opinion.” (Ta’assurrat-e-Qadia, ref. “Hamdard”, Delhi, dated December 26, 1927)
- Also, the newspaper “Mashriq”, Gorakhpur, wrote, “All the Muslims are obliged to Respected Imam Jamaat Ahmadiyya for his favors. It was because of his movement that “Wartman” was prosecuted. It was his Jamaat which pursued the issue of “Rangeela Rasool”. They were fearless and did not hesitate to go to jails. It was his pamphlet which made Governor Sahib to deliver justice. At this point in time every Muslim sect in India is afraid from the British or Hindus or other nations. It is only the Jamaat of Ahmad (as) which is, like the Muslims of the Early Period, are not afraid of any person or nation and are doing pure Islamic work.” (Mashriq, dated September 22, 1927)
- In June, 1929, the Simon Commission report was published. The Commission had recommended that federation, comprising of provinces and states, should be established. Indian leaders were not satisfied with the recommendations and law and order situation was about to be seriously disrupted in the country. The Viceroy, after consultation with British Government and Minister for India, announced to convene Round Table Conference. In this conference the issue of independence of colonies was to be decided. In November 1930, the first Round Table Conference was organized. Huzoor by his farsightedness realized that, in this conference, the greatest attention will be paid to Simon Commission Report. Therefore, on this issue Huzoor authored a book, “The Solution of Current Political Issue of India” got it translated and circulated it extensively. On this book, scores of Muslim and British leaders sent letters of gratitude and wrote reviews. Here we present a few of these as an example:
- Sir Hugh Romer thanked him and wrote that this was the only detailed critique on Simon Commission Report which came to his knowledge. He applauded Imam Jamaat Ahmadiyya for the sincerity, wisdom and detail with which he has expressed the opinion of his Jamaat. He also expressed appreciation for the lofty opinion of His Holiness on this issue.”
- Mr. L. M. Emery, who later became Minister for India, wrote about it and greatly appreciated the spirit with which that book was written and the wisdom of the writer with which he solved those complicated issues.
- Dr. Sir Zia-ud-Din of Aligarh wrote, “I have read this book with keen interest and I request you to publish it in Europe and widely circulate it… Your Holiness has performed a very important and valuable service of Islam.”
- Seth Haji Abdullah Haroon, M.L.A., Karachi, wrote, “In my opinion, of all the books written on politics in India, The Solution of Current Political Issue of India, is among the best.”
- Dr. Sir Iqbal wrote, “I have read some parts of the critique, it is excellent and most comprehensive.”
- The newspaper “Inqilab”, Lahore, in its November 16, 1930, issue wrote, “Respected Mirza Sahib performed a very valuable service of Islam by writing this critique. It was the job of big Islamic organizations that Mirza Sahib performed all alone.”
- The newspaper “Siasat” wrote in its editorial, “If we disregard the doctrinal differences then Mirza Sahib has done such work in the field of writing that from the point of view of volume and profitability it is deserving of every praise. The way in which he has brought his Jamaat into politics along with other Muslims and led it with such success that every honest and unbiased person is bound to appreciate it. The whole world is impressed by his political wisdom. By uniting Muslims against Nehru Report, presenting Muslim point of view before Simon Commission, doing powerful logical discussions on current issues from Islamic point of view and by writing books for the rights of Muslims full of arguments, he has performed a very commendable service.”
In short, right at the time of need, this book clearly explained the genuine nature of Muslim rights and demands to the members of The Round Table Conference. The conference recommended constitutional government for India and improved upon the recommendations of the Simon Commission and thus he helped liberate the oppressed.
- During the second world war when fighting involved Egypt and the possibility of involvement of the Holy Land in war was raised. Viewing this possibility Huzoor delivered a sermon to prevent the spread of fighting to the holy land and Egypt. The newspaper “Zamzam” in its July 19, 1942, issue applauded this service of Huzoor in these words, “Under these circumstances… the Imam Sahib has shown such love for Islam with reference to Egypt and Holy Land of Hijaz that we are greatly indebted to him for it and by expressing his concern he has rightly represented the feelings of Muslims.”
- The Honorable Khan Bahadur Sheikh Sir Abdul Qadir, Law Member, Government of India, Delhi, acknowledged the services of Huzoor for Islamic cause in these words, “I have been having the opportunity to interact with Ahmadiyya Jamaat with reference to general interest of Muslims. I am greatly impressed by his deep interest in issues involving general welfare and progress of Muslims.” (Al-Hakam, Jubilee Number, December, 1939)
In short, Huzoor used every opportunity to promote the rights, liberty, welfare and the good of Muslims and yet politicians and Ulema of these days who have a biased mentality, are doing their level best to spread misconceptions in public against Ahmadiyya Jamaat and Hazrat Imam Jamaat Ahmadiyya. They should seriously consider these reviews of their elders and senior politicians and should try to improve their character and bring about change in it.
Nations Will Be Blessed By Him
In 1948, the issue of the division of Palestine was under discussion in the Security Council. At the wishes of Arabs, Huzur instructed Respected Chaudry Mohammad Zafarullah Khan to stay in USA to present their case. Subsequently he presented the Arab case. The Arab delegations thanked Huzoor by sending a telegram and wrote, “We have been greatly relieved. We hope that this will immensely support our demands.” (Al-Fazal, November 8, 1947)
Huzoor’s instruction to Hazrat Chaudry Sahib to stay on in New York and the gratitude of Arab delegations show that Huzoor was a source of blessing and mercy for all nations of the world.
Meek of Heart
Another attribute foretold in the prophecy was that he will be kind and soft at heart. Allah did bestow on him the softness of heart and kindness. He was endowed with love for the poor, had keen awareness of their needs and had the will to try to provide for their needs. He was always involved in the service of humanity. As a matter of faith he tried his best to maintain the dignity of Humanity. He was not only aware of the needs of non-Muslims but he also provided regular allowances for widows and orphans of non-Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus and he continued these allowances for widows and orphans of Qadian even after partition of India and Pakistan.
Then during the turbulent times of partition he provided protection to the Muslims of Batala district and its surrounding villages in Qadian. He did his best to protect their lives, belongings and honor and effectively arranged for their safe passage to Pakistan by contacting the concerned government agencies. These services of his were acknowledged by the press and newspaper of those days and learned people from every school of thought and belief commended him and praised his kindheartedness and service. In order to inculcate the practice of providing service to mankind and for their best possible training and education and to develop a sense of responsibility in members of every age in his community, he established the organizations of Ansarullah, Khuddam-ul-Ahmadiyya and Atfal-ul-Ahmadiyya in men and Lajna Imaillah and Nasirat-ul-Ahmadiyya in women. These organizations have been very effective and resulted in a sense of competition to excel in doing good.
The Demise of Hazrat Musleh Mau’ood
According to the prophecy he completed the task assigned to him by Allah in the best possible way and was finally raised to heaven to be in the presence of Almighty Allah, his Lord. Inna Lillahe wa Inna Ilaihe Rajayoon.
In short, he was a source of mercy and blessings for his followers as well as non-believers and the wise and learned in the world were aware of his status and value. Therefore at his demise not only the press and non-believers in his own country but people from all over the world acknowledged his services and mourned his death. Herein are presented some of these observations.
- At the news of his passing away, the President of Pakistan, Field Marshal Mohammad Ayub Khan, sent the following condolence telegram, “Mirza Nasir Ahmad Sahib, Rabwah! I am grieved to learn of sad demise of Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad. May his soul rest in peace and God grant you and member of your family and his followers courage to bear this loss. Mohammad Ayub Khan.”
- Condolence message received from Mr. Malik Ameer Mohammad Khan, Governor of West Pakistan, read: “Mirza Nasir Ahmad, Rabwah. Deeply grieved to learn of sad news of your revered father Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad. Please accept yourself and convey to other members of family and Ahmadiyya community my heartfelt condolence and sympathies in this great loss. May the departed soul rest in peace. Malik Ameer Mohammad Khan, Governor West Pakistan.”
A large number of newspapers carried obituaries with the news of his demise. Here are some examples:
- The Morning News, Karachi, wrote in its November 9, 1965, issue, “Mirza Mahmood Ahmad was born in January 1889 in Qadian, which was the center of Community before partition of India and Pakistan. He has left behind 13 sons, 9 daughters, more than 3 million followers and a network of Ahmadiyya missions all over the world. He was the eldest son of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, the founder of Ahmadiyya Jamaat. After Maulvi Nooruddin, he became the second caliph of Jamaat in 1914. After becoming the caliph he spent his entire life in constant and tireless struggle so that Islam could be spread all over the world and in Africa, Europe and America in particular. He visited Europe twice so that local conditions could be analyzed and propagation of Islam in western countries could be expanded. During his tenure, 92 new missions were established in foreign countries where 162 missionaries are propagating Islam. These missions are working with full vigor and spirit of dedication and therefore are very effective in changing the false notions about Islam into truth. Ahmadi missionaries have been very successful in African countries particularly along the western coastal areas. There they have to face intense opposition from the Christian missionaries and work extremely hard. He translated Holy Quran and its commentary in more than a dozen languages. In addition to that he has left behind invaluable and extensive literature in defense of Islam. In the days when movement for independence was at its height, Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad supported Muslim League with full force. Before that in 1924 when the shudhi movement was in its full force in U P and Arya Samaj (sect of Hindus) were converting Muslims to Hinduism in great numbers, Mirza Sahib accepted that challenge and opposed it with great vigor. In 1931 he was elected as President of All India Kashmir Committee and he infused new life in the movement of Kashmir Independence and in 1948 created a full battalion of volunteers from his Jamaat and gave under Government control at his expense to take part in war in Kashmir.” (Al-Fazal, December 3, 1965)
- The Pakistan Times, in its November 9, 1965, issue paid tribute to Huzoor in the following words, “Imam Jamaat Ahmadiyya, Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad, after a long illness passed away in Rabwah on Monday morning. He will be laid to rest in Rabwah at 10 o’clock on Tuesday morning. Before his burial a meeting of Election Of Caliph Committee will be held in which new Imam will be elected. According to the news received from Rabwah, a large number of members of Ahmadiyya Jamaat are arriving in Rabwah from all over Pakistan to pay last tribute to their departed Imam… Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad was elected Imam in 1914. He opened missions all over the world particularly in Africa, Europe and America. In this connection he opened 96 new missions abroad and now there total number is 152. The Jamaat’s missions have great success in Africa, particularly on the west coast. There they had to work extremely hard against the Christian preachers. When movement for Pakistan was at its peak, Mirza Sahib supported Muslim League vigorously. Before that in 1924, when Shudhi movement was started by Arya Samaj to convert Muslims in UP to Hinduism en masses, he fought back with great courage…….In addition to translation of Holy Quran in more than a dozen languages and commentary, he has left behind an extensive and valuable literary treasure.” (Al-Fazal, December 3, 1965)
- The daily Nawa-e-Waqt, published the news of his demise in these words, “Lahore November 8.–Spiritual Leader of Ahmadiyya community, Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad passed away this morning. He was ill for a long time. He was 77 years of age. He will be laid to rest tomorrow in Rabwah. For the election of new spiritual leader, a meeting of Elective Council is in progress in Rabwah and new Spiritual Leader will be elected before the burial of Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad. He was elected the head of Jamaat in 1914. He opened new mission all over the world in general and in Africa, Europe and America in particular. In this connection he himself twice visited Europe. He opened 96 new missions in total. These missions are working against Christian missions particularly along west coast of Africa. During the movement for Pakistan, the Late Mirza Bashirud Din Mahmood Ahmad supported Muslim League. In 1922 when Arya Samaj started the movement to convert Muslims in UP to Hinduism, Mirza Sahib worked a lot to stop those conversions. He got Holy Quran translated in more than a dozen languages including Dutch, German, Indonesian and Swahili languages. He was also the President of All India Kashmir Committee in 1931. In 1948, he created “Furqan Battalion” of volunteers and gave it under the high command to participate in Kashmir Jihad. Members of the Ahmadiyya community are arriving in Rabwah to participate in the funeral of Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad, many of them are arriving from overseas.” (Al-Fazal, November 13, 1965)
- Daily newspaper Mashriq, in its November 10, 1965, issue gave the news of his demise, “In the history of Ahmadiyya Jamaat this stage has come after 51 years and it is going to elect new leader. After the demise of the founder of the Ahmadiyya community (Hazrat) Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (as) Maulvi Nooruddin was elected as first caliph. He remained in this office for six years until his demise. After him the elder son of (Hazrat) Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad was elected as second caliph.” (Al-Fazal, November 13, 1965)
- Daily Imroze of Lahore counted his countless services to the Muslims in its November 13, 1965 issue and particularly mentioned the missions in Africa, Europe and Africa, leadership in the political affairs of the nation and the translations of the Holy Qur’an. Similar tributes were paid by “Nai Roshani” of Karachi dated November 10, 1965, and Daily Hrriyyat of the same date, The light of Karachi dated December 18, 1965, and Weekly Insaf, Rawalpindi of December 4, 1965.
There were many more Pakistani newspapers, including the Daily Naee Roshni (Nov. 10, 1965); the Daily Huniat (Nov. 8, 1965); the English Daily, The Light (Nov. 16, 1965); and the weekly Insaaf of Rawalpindi. There were also many letters to the Editors from many individuals, too numerous to mention here.
Newspapers from outside Pakistan include the Sidq-i-Jadid, Lukhnow, India (Nov. 19, 1965); Newspaper Roshni, Srinagar, Kashmir (Nov. 11, 1965); the Daily Haqeeqat, Lukhnow(Nov. 10, 1965); The daily Tribune, Ambala, India (Nov. 9, 1965); The Daily Samaj Katak, Orisa, India (Nov. 13, 1965); The Liberian Star, Liberia, West Africa; etc., etc.
The President of Liberia, William V. S. Tubman, sent a message of condolence and said: “I offer my sincere condolences to the Ahmadiyya community. My heart-felt sympathies are with you. Please convey my sentiments to all.”
The prophecy required that the Musleh Mau’ood find fame in the corners of the earth. Such a large scale mention of his demise illustrates that he, in fact, had won fame all over the world. The prophecy, therefore, was fulfilled in him in all its grand details.
Let us humbly pray that Allah elevate him in ranks in Jannatul Firdaus and count him among His very chosen servants. May we become able to mould our lives as he wished us to serve the cause of Ahmadiyyat. Ameen!