Collected and Summarized by Ahmad Tabshir Choudhury and Nuruddin Amjad
- The Daily Star, Dhaka (English):(a) Editorial titled Tribute to Prof. Salam. The key point of this editorial was: “A more meaningful and genuine mode of paying homage to the departed soul of Prof. Salam would be to do something for the cause he lived for.” (November 23, 1996)(b) An article was published on Dr. Salam by Mr. Asadullah titled – Abdus Salam: Profile of a Nobel Laureate on December 3, and another by Dr. Fakhruddin Ahmed from Princeton, USA, title – Professor Abdus Salam, Nobel Laureate Extraordinaire on December 9, 1996.
- The Daily Janakantha, Dhaka (Bengali):(a) On 23 November published editorial titled, “Homage to Scientist Salam”. Its key point was that the whole world honored this noble personality. He was the pride for whole Muslim Ummah. But it is very unfortunate that his own country Pakistan did not show proper respect to this great scientist, because he was an Ahmadi. When Bhutto Govt. declared Ahmadiyya Muslims as ‘Not Muslim’, Dr. Salam had protested against this religious intolerance and resigned from the post of Chief Advisor for Science & Technology to the President of Pakistan.(b) On 29th November a lengthy article was published under the title – “Abdus Salam: Visionary for Development of Science in Third World”. Its writer was Dr. Abdullah Al muti Sharfuddin, himself a highly respected writer of science books in Bengali. The key point of his article was that upto the last moment of his life Dr. Salam worked hard for the development of science and technology throughout the Third World.
- The Daily Sangbad, Dhaka (Bengali):On 25th November it published an editorial titled, “Professor Abdus Salam”. Its key point was that Dr. Salam was the only Muslim scientist to get the Nobel Prize. Our young men and women should make Dr. Salam their role-model and try to learn laurels in the world of science.
- The Daily Bangla Bazar Patrika, Dhaka (Bengali):On November 23, it published an editorial titled, “Scientist Abdus Salam is No More”. Its key point was that Dr. Salam always encouraged young people to study science and mathematics. He was a servant of whole mankind.
- The Daily Dinkal, Dhaka (Bengali):It published an editorial on 23rd November titled “Professor Salam Passes Away”. Its key point was: Dr. Salam had great affection for Bangladesh and he visited this country many times. He had urged the Bangladesh Govt. to spend at least one percent of GNP on Science research.
- The Daily Azadi, Chittagong (Bengali):Published an editorial titled, “A Tribute” on November 24. The key point was that though politically the sub-continent is split into 3 different countries yet Dr. Salam had the rare distinction of being equally well respected in each of these, namely Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
- The Daily Sangram, Dhaka (Bengali):Owned by Jamat-e-Islami Bangladesh:On 23rd November published the news titled: “Janaza in London: Prof. Salam’s dead body will be taken to Pakistan today.” Referring the news broadcast and displayed by Bangladesh Television, it stated that the Namaz-e-Janaza for Dr. Abdus Salam had been led by Mirza Tahir Ahmad at Fazl Mosque London.
Note:It may be mentioned here that Ahmadiyya Muslam Jamat, Bangladesh recorded the live program of Dr. Salam Sahib’s Namaz-e-Janaza from MTA and supplied to the state owned Bangladesh Television. Which was broadcast on the same day; i.e. just after one and half an hour of the Namaz-e-Janaza took place in London. It was for the first time that Bangladesh Television showed Huzur Aqdas.
- The Bangladesh Observer, Dhaka (English Daily):On 25th November, it published a news titled Prof Salam’s Death Condoled. It reported in detail about a condolence meeting held at Islamic Institute of Technology on the outskirts of Dhaka. This Institute has been established by the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC).On the death of Prof. Abdus Salam, the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina Wazed and former Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition Begum Khaleda Zia also expressed their deep sorrow and recalled the contributions of the great Scientist in the field of Science and Technology and to the mankind.
Condolence message was also issued by Bangladesh Academy of Science and many other organizations.